Mt. Pilatus Cogwheel Railway ExperienceVisiting Lucerne’s landmark mountain, Mt. Pilatus, is a must-do when you're in the Lake Lucerne region. Start at the valley station in Kriens, and (...)
Book your activity now
#1 distributor of train tickets and rail passesWe’ve been by the side of more happy travelers every year as rail’s popularity continues to grow.
The simplicity of one-stop-shoppingThe most complete European train travel offerings including train tickets, rail passes and activities.
European expertsWe’ve made train travel easy and accessible throughout Europe for over 75 years.
Start your Mt. Pilatus tour at the valley station in Kriens to hop aboard the panoramic gondola for the 30-minute ride to Fräkmüntegg. If you have kids, perhaps hop off the gondola halfway through the ride in Krienseregg, where a playground provides a chance for them to burn some energy before continuing the gondola ride.
At Fräkmüntegg, you can participate in activities, if you wish, such as a ride on Switzerland's longest summer toboggan or climbing through the rope park (own expense). When you're ready, board the 'Dragon Ride,' an aerial cableway with a spacious interior, cockpit-like design, and large windows that give you the impression of being in a helicopter—only the flying is even more exhilarating. Admire views over Lake Lucerne and the Alps when you reach the summit of the mountain, and decide if you want to stay inside the panoramic gallery, relax on the terrace, climb one of the peaks (5-10 minutes), or get a bite to eat at one of the restaurants (own expenses).
When you're ready to head back down, take the world’s steepest cogwheel railway (since 1889) for a trip past streams, steep rock faces, and fields of Alpine flowers. The railway brings you to Alpnachstad, marking the end of your Mt. Pilatus experience.
9:00 Departure by gondola to Fräkmüntegg
9:45 Change to the cable car 'Dragon Ride'
9:50 Arrival at Mt. Pilatus; enjoy the view and stroll around
10:50 Departure by cogwheel train to Alpnachstad
11:30 Arrival in Alpnachstad
Click on the 'View additional info' link to see the departure timetable for both stations.
• The gondolas are closed for maintenance from 23 October to 10 November 2017; access from Alpnachstad only.
• The cogwheel train is closed from 20 November to around mid-May; access from Kriens only
- Family friendly
- Popular choice with kids
- Perfect for all ages and skill level
- Enjoy fantastic aerial views
- Multiple departure times and locations available
This is a no guided tour and it's why that there is no meeting point.
- Cable car ride (except during maintenance)
- Cogwheel train ride (from mid May to November 15th)
- All taxes, fees, and handling charges
What's NOT inside
- The listed price does not include a CHF 5 parking fee (per day)
- Food and drinks
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Refundable up to 4 business days prior to the travel date minus a 7% administrative fee.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Don't miss the last transportation down to the valley.
- Operates in almost all weather conditions; please dress appropriately
- Cableways are not in operation in the case of storms
- Only printed vouchers will be accepted
- Please note: You can start the tour from Kriens or Alpnachstad
- The gondolas are closed for maintenance from 19 October to 6 November 2020; access from Alpnachstad only.
- The cogwheel train is closed from 16 November to mid-May; access from Kriens only
- It is not possible to book a specific time slot
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
|Monday - Sunday:||08:30 AM - 04:00 PM|
Reviews & ratings Mt Pilatus Experience Self-Guided Tour
"We took the paved trail that starts beyond the Kulm Hotel. After a little while, we looked up the mountain and saw 2 Alpine Ibex sitting in the grass. A bit further, (...) "
"Incredible views! Took close to an hour to get all the way up top, but it was completely worth it. Very windy atmosphere and lots of birds, so be careful. Definitely (...) "
"We loved the tour, each level had something different to offer. The bottom level had a great playground that is perfect families. The middle level had restaurants, (...) "
"Totally breathtaking! The scenery and views are not to be missed! I would highly recommend this tour "
"Another great event! The process was easy and the views were out of this world. Taking the gondola up, the train back down and a boat ride back to Lucerne made for a (...) "
"For starters we had an almost perfect day with weather. It wasn't sunny, but the cloud was quite high so it didn't obscure the view. We caught a ferry from Lucerne (...) "
"This tour was amazing! "
"Highlight of our trip. It is a must see. "
"Trip was awesome. Definitely take the cog wheel train up — it was worth the wait in line. "
"Most amazing place, we actually booked for the wrong day by mistake but when we got to the cable car there were no problems whatsoever not even making us feel bad, (...) "