What could be more perfect than a romantic trip in a nostalgic railcar ? This one-of-a-kind, 120-year-old train with vintage wooden seats, features conductors in historic uniforms as it ascends 4.3 miles in 52 minutes to Schynige Platte. It all starts in Wilderswil, just a four-minute train ride from Interlaken Ost train station, where you board this unique cogwheel train. Once in Schynige Platte, you’ll enjoy views of Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau, Lake Thun, Niesen, Stockhorn and Jura. This natural wonderland is a popular starting point for all kinds of hikes. It’s also the site of the only Botanical Alpine Garden in Switzerland, home to around 600 species of Alpine plants. Don’t forget to stop by the mountain’s hotel and welcoming restaurant offering a spacious terrace. Incredibly, those with a Swiss Travel Pass and Swiss Travel Pass Flex will find they’re entitled to free travel on this excursion. Schynige Platte. It’s not just a wonderful trip, it’s a trip back in time.
Schynige Platte : Nostalgic Rail to Timeless Beauty.
Here’s what’s included :
- Includes round-trip travel from Wilderswil or Interlaken to Schnyige Platte on board a unique vintage cogwheel train.
- The 52 minute journey brings you to the summit where the following activities can be found :
- The only botanical Alpine garden in Switzerland with 650 species of flowers.
- Impressive views of the Eiger, Mönch, Jungfrau and Lakes Thun and Brienz.
- Daily entertainment by costumed Alphorn players.
- Easy circular hiking trails.
- Mountain hotel and panorama restaurant with spacious terrace.
- Nature cinema and railway exhibition.
- Discounted fares are valid when traveling with a Swiss Half Fare Card and Eurail Pass that includes Switzerland, please refer to the type of pass you have when selecting your tickets.
- Free travel with a valid Swiss Travel Pass (use of travel day required).
- All child rates are valid for children ages 6 -15.
- Children under 6 are free.
- Children traveling with a Swiss Family Card are free when they travel with a parent or guardian that is traveling with a Swiss Travel Pass. Where noted below, please indicate the number of children that are NOT covered by the Swiss Family Card. Note : these children will be required to purchase a ticket.
- Train tickets and Swiss Transfer tickets are not valid for rail pass discounts.
- Tickets are valid for six months from the date of purchase.
- Operating daily starting 26 May, 2018.
- Cogwheel train operates daily every 40 minutes from 07:25 am to 04:45 pm. During bad weather the schedule may be changed without prior notice.
- Prices are subject to change.
From our travel community
You may also be interested in
Common Questions, Simple Answers
Q. What is a BritRail Family Pass ?
A. A BritRail Family Card allows one child aged 5 to 15 to have free travel when accompanied by an adult or a BritRail Pass holder.
Q. Can tickets be shipped to a country which is not my country of residence ?
A. No. Unfortunately tickets can be shipped to any other adresse except that of your country of residence. Make sure that you have all travel documents before departure.
Q. How do I obtain Eurostar tickets ?
A. Tickets for Eurostar trains can be easily purchased online on our website. Choose the ‘Print @ home’ ticketing method for more convenience and no booking fees. You can also choose to buy online and retrieve your tickets from self-service tickets terminal at London St Pancras, Brussels Midi or Paris Nord railway station, before departure.
Q. How to get a refund ?
A. -For any refund, you will have to send your unused and unvalidated train tickets or rail pass to your travel agent or to our local offices. Click here to contact us via the contact us form.
- Most tickets must be returned at least 3 working days as per the postmark before the travel date. Tickets which have been stamped "NOT USED" at a train station in Europe are also eligible for a refund. Tickets should be accompanied by a letter and the orginal booking number. The documents must be sent by registered post.
Q. How do I retrieve my TGV Lyria tickets ?
A. Tickets for TGV Lyria can be booked online on our website. You can choose to print your ticket anywhere and anytime before your travel using the Print @ home option, or go to a self-service ticket machine and enter your reference to retrieve your ticket at a train station in France with the Print @ Station option.
Q. What is the main difference between First class and Second class on the Italian Day Trains ?
A. The Italian Day Trains’ First class includes comfortable reclining seats and food and beverages, available at the bar-buffet car on major routes.
The Italian Day Trains’ Second class includes spacious legroom and food and beverages, available at the bar-buffet car on major routes.
Q. Are accomodations on overnight trains costly ?
A. The price depends on the ticket, the type of train, the choice of sleeping compartment. Just like day trains, prices on overnight trains will vary depending on the choice of services, quality of comfort and travel distance.
Q. What is needed to retrieve an e-ticket from a terminal ?
A. To retrieve an e-ticket, you will need to enter your booking reference in the self service ticket terminal found at train stations. You can found the reference in your booking summary. In France, you will need to enter your family name as well.
Please note : You will reveice your reference in your inbox for "Print @ home" tickets.
Q. Do I need to reserve a seat when travelling onboard a high speed train ?
A. Yes. You have to reserve a seat. All high speed trains require a seat reservation.
Q. How much cost a Rail Pass or Rail Ticket for children ?
A. A Rail Pass or a Rail Ticket usually costs half of that of an adult. Please note that some passes do not have child fares. Child tickets are available on most trains though they can vary.
- In Switzerland, children under 16 years old can have free travel if accompanied by an adult with a Swiss Pass.
- In Britain, children aged 5 to 15, can have free travel when accompanied by a paying adult.