What could be more perfect than a romantic trip in a nostalgic railcar ? This one-of-a-kind, 120-year-old train with vintage wooden seats, features conductors in historic uniforms as it ascends 4.3 miles in 52 minutes to Schynige Platte. It all starts in Wilderswil, just a four-minute train ride from Interlaken Ost train station, where you board this unique cogwheel train. Once in Schynige Platte, you’ll enjoy views of Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau, Lake Thun, Niesen, Stockhorn and Jura. This natural wonderland is a popular starting point for all kinds of hikes. It’s also the site of the only Botanical Alpine Garden in Switzerland, home to around 600 species of Alpine plants. Don’t forget to stop by the mountain’s hotel and welcoming restaurant offering a spacious terrace. Incredibly, those with a Swiss Travel Pass and Swiss Travel Pass Flex will find they’re entitled to free travel on this excursion. Schynige Platte. It’s not just a wonderful trip, it’s a trip back in time.
Here’s what’s included :
- Includes round-trip travel from Wilderswil or Interlaken to Schnyige Platte on board a unique vintage cogwheel train.
- The 52 minute journey brings you to the summit where the following activities can be found :
- The only botanical Alpine garden in Switzerland with 650 species of flowers.
- Impressive views of the Eiger, Mönch, Jungfrau and Lakes Thun and Brienz.
- Daily entertainment by costumed Alphorn players.
- Easy circular hiking trails.
- Mountain hotel and panorama restaurant with spacious terrace.
- Nature cinema and railway exhibition.
- Discounted fares are valid when traveling with a Swiss Half Fare Card and Eurail Pass that includes Switzerland, please refer to the type of pass you have when selecting your tickets.
- Free travel with a valid Swiss Travel Pass (use of travel day required).
- All child rates are valid for children ages 6 -15.
- Children under 6 are free.
- Children traveling with a Swiss Family Card are free when they travel with a parent or guardian that is traveling with a Swiss Travel Pass. Where noted below, please indicate the number of children that are NOT covered by the Swiss Family Card. Note : these children will be required to purchase a ticket.
- Train tickets and Swiss Transfer tickets are not valid for rail pass discounts.
- Tickets are valid for six months from the date of purchase.
- Operating daily starting 26 May, 2018.
- Cogwheel train operates daily every 40 minutes from 07:25 am to 04:45 pm. During bad weather the schedule may be changed without prior notice.
- Prices are subject to change.
From our travel community
You may also be interested in
Common Questions, Simple Answers
Q. What if I have a group of 10 or more purchasing rail passes ?
A. Please contact our Groups Department who can arrange customized travel solutions perfect for your travellers.
Q. Do I need to make a reservation if I’m traveling with a rail pass on an overnight train ?
A. Yes. Even with your rail pass, you will need to make a reservation on any overnight train. Reservations are required for sleeping compartments, couchettes, and seats. Depending on where you’re traveling, the guidelines of the specific train and/or the type of rail pass you have, you may be entitled to purchase a reservation in place of a full price ticket.
You can search for overnight reservations directly on our website - just be sure to select the "I have a rail pass" option.
Q. How fast can I receive my travel documents ?
A. After your booking has been invoiced, you should receive your tickets and/or rail passes within 2-7 business days. In some locations, express overnight delivery may be available for an additional cost.
If you booked e-tickets, you should receive an email and ticket instructions shortly after your booking is confirmed.
Q. What are the benefits of registering on the Rail Europe site ?
A. When you register on our site, a wide range of exclusive tools and services become available to you. You will have access your booking details, ability to download your tickets and track your shipping. You will get notifications and alerts concerning your trip. You can save your searches, pages, and itineraries right in your account. And by registering, you will also have the ability to leave a review on your travel experience with Rail Europe.
Q. Does taking an overnight train mean using 2 travel days on my rail pass ?
A. If you travel on a direct overnight train departing after 7:00pm and arriving after 4:00am, it’s only necessary to enter the date of arrival in the travel calendar, thereby using only one travel day. If you travel on an overnight train that departs after 7:00pm but has a change of trains or arrives before 4:00am, you will be required to enter both the date of departure and arrival in the travel calendar, using two travel days of your rail pass.
Q. Can I use my rail pass on any train within its area of coverage ?
A. In general, yes, but there are some exceptions and a few rules to keep in mind.
First, be mindful that some trains (such as high speed, scenic, and night trains) require rail pass holders to purchase reservations at an additional cost.
For international train journeys, be sure that your rail pass covers the country of departure, country of arrival, and any countries through which your train will travel.
Lastly, some private rail lines in certain countries don’t offer reservations for rail pass holders and don’t accept rail passes. In these cases, you can purchase a train ticket locally for the desired journey.
Q. I just placed a booking and realized I made a mistake. How can I make changes ?
A. If you need to get in touch with us regarding your booking, please visit our Contact Us page for assistance. As long as it hasn’t been invoiced yet, it’s usually not a problem to fix it. However, please note that an exchange fee and price change may be applicable depending on what needs to be changed.
Q. I want to refund my train ticket. How do I proceed ?
A. If you have a paper ticket that you would like to submit for a refund, please visit our Contact Us page for further information.
Please note that train tickets must be received at least 2 business days prior to the train departure date.
It’s strongly suggested that you send these documents by some type of traceable mail for proof of delivery.
If you have an e-ticket to submit for a refund, this can be initiated on our Cancellation and Refunds page.
Q. Can I book a rail pass and a seat reservation at the same time ?
A. Absolutely, and we encourage it. Once you’ve added the pass you want to your booking, you will be prompted to make seat reservations for trains you wish to travel on. Alternatively, you can visit the homepage and search schedules, just be sure to check the "I have a rail pass" box.
We always recommend buying your reservations before you depart for Europe because high speed and night trains often have a limited number of seats set aside for rail pass holders, and these seats tend to sell out. So the earlier you secure your reservation, the better.
Q. Can I get a refund for unused days on my rail pass ?
A. No. Partially used rail passes cannot be refunded. Only unused rail passes that have not been activated are eligible for a refund within the allowed time frame.