What could be more perfect than a romantic trip in a nostalgic railcar? This one-of-a-kind, 120-year-old train with vintage wooden seats, features conductors in historic uniforms as it ascends 4.3 miles in 52 minutes to Schynige Platte. It all starts in Wilderswil, just a four-minute train ride from Interlaken Ost train station, where you board this unique cogwheel train. Once in Schynige Platte, you’ll enjoy views of Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau, Lake Thun, Niesen, Stockhorn and Jura. This natural wonderland is a popular starting point for all kinds of hikes. It’s also the site of the only Botanical Alpine Garden in Switzerland, home to around 600 species of Alpine plants. Don’t forget to stop by the mountain’s hotel and welcoming restaurant offering a spacious terrace. Incredibly, those with a Swiss Travel Pass and Swiss Travel Pass Flex will find they’re entitled to free travel on this excursion. Schynige Platte. It’s not just a wonderful trip, it’s a trip back in time.
Spring has sprung! Enjoy savings of $100 on bookings of $1,100 or more when you use promo code 29SPRING19 at checkout. This limited-time offer ends April 23, 2019.
Experience the beauty of Schynige Platte on nostalgic ride
- From Interlaken Ost board the unique cogwheel train with vintage wooden seats reminiscent of its 1893 inaugural journey up the Schynige Platte
- Visit the Alpine Botanical garden
- Issued as a paper document
- Impressive views of Eiger, Mönch, Jungfrau, and lakes Thun and Brienz
- Children under 6 travel free sharing adult passenger’s seat
- Discount offered with Swiss Travel Pass
Here’s what’s included:
- Includes round-trip travel from Wilderswil or Interlaken to Schnyige Platte on board a unique vintage cogwheel train.
- The 52 minute journey brings you to the summit where the following activities can be found:
- The only botanical Alpine garden in Switzerland with 650 species of flowers.
- Impressive views of the Eiger, Mönch, Jungfrau and Lakes Thun and Brienz.
- Daily entertainment by costumed Alphorn players.
- Easy circular hiking trails.
- Mountain hotel and panorama restaurant with spacious terrace.
- Nature cinema and railway exhibition.
- Discounted fares are valid when traveling with a Swiss Half Fare Card and Eurail Pass that includes Switzerland, please refer to the type of pass you have when selecting your tickets.
- Free travel with a valid Swiss Travel Pass (use of travel day required).
- All child rates are valid for children ages 6 -15.
- Children under 6 are free.
- Children traveling with a Swiss Family Card are free when they travel with a parent or guardian that is traveling with a Swiss Travel Pass. Where noted below, please indicate the number of children that are NOT covered by the Swiss Family Card. Note: these children will be required to purchase a ticket.
- Train tickets and Swiss Transfer tickets are not valid for rail pass discounts.
- Tickets are valid for six months from the date of purchase.
- Operating daily starting 26 May, 2018.
- Cogwheel train operates daily every 40 minutes from 07:25 am to 04:45 pm. During bad weather the schedule may be changed without prior notice.
- Prices are subject to change.
From our travel community
You may also be interested in
Common Questions, Simple Answers
Q. What fees does Rail Europe charge?
A. Rail Europe charges different types of fees for the services we provide. These fees are waived under certain circumstances. Below is a list of the fees we charge.
Delivery Fee: this fee covers the cost of delivering your travel documents to you, allowing you to relax, knowing that you have everything you need prior to your departure.
Customer Care Centre Fee: this fee is charged only when bookings are made over the phone through one of our Customer Care Centres.
Rail Europe Processing Fee: this fee allows us to continue to provide travellers with a wide range of European rail products to choose from, in addition to offering quality customer support before, during, and after your trip.
Administrative Fee: this fee is charged only for refunds and exchanges. It is 7% of the original train ticket or rail pass price.
Q. Can I add a friend to my existing rail pass?
A. Once a rail pass has been printed, another name cannot be added. We may be able to exchange the rail pass through our contact center, but exchange fees and penalties will apply. The only exception is if you bought the Rail Protection Plan along with your rail pass. In that case, you’re eligible to exchange your rail pass for a new one that includes your friend, without incurring any fee or penalty. You’ll just need to pay the additional cost of the rail pass for your friend. .
Q. I have my train ticket. Do I also need to buy a reservation?
A. Rail Europe train tickets usually include a reservation whenever possible. In other words, if you’re taking a train that requires a reservation, one will already be included with your train ticket from us. If you’re boarding a train that offers reservations but doesn’t require them, tickets sold on our website will include one, if available, at the time of booking.
For certain trains that offer reservations but don’t require them, it is possible that we do not include a seat reservation with your train ticket. This may happen when we don’t have access to those reservations, which can only be purchased locally. Rest assured that even if this is the case, your Rail Europe train ticket will still allow you to board and sit at any unoccupied seat.
Q. Do I need to book a rail pass for everyone in my traveling party, including children and infants?
A. You will need to book a rail pass for each adult and child. In the case of a saver pass, it’s one rail pass with each traveller’s name listed on the pass. Some rail passes offer free child discounts, the children need to be added to the rail pass at the time of booking, there will be no charge incurred for them, however. While a child under 4 years of age and sharing a seat with an adult does not need to book a rail pass. If the child will occupy his/her own seat, a rail pass must be purchased for them, as well as a reservation when needed.
Q. Is the price for a reservation the same whether I purchase it from you or locally at the station?
A. It depends. The first factor to consider is that if you purchase your reservation from Rail Europe, you will be charged in your local currency, whereas if you buy your reservation locally, you will be charged in local currency. Thus, by buying with us, you’re avoiding bank or credit card fees for foreign currency transactions.
You may find a less expensive reservation offered by the local rail carrier, but those are limited in availability.
Lastly, keep in mind that by purchasing your reservation from us in advance, you’re saving time, avoiding waiting in line at a foreign ticket counter and dealing with a local railway agent for a reservation right before boarding your train.
Q. How can I track my shipment?
A. A shipping confirmation email will be sent to you when your booking has shipped and it will contain the tracking number for your travel documents. Please use this email to track your package.
Q. How do I use a Rail Europe Gift Card?
A. Simply use the Gift Card code that was provided by Rail Europe on your certificate. Enter this code on the delivery page during checkout. Note: the full dollar value of the Gift Card doesn’t need to be used all at once; you will be sent a new Gift Card code for any remaining balance.
Q. How do I change my login or password?
A. If you want or need to change your login information for your Rail Europe account, log in with your current login information. Once logged in, please visit your dashboard where you will be able to edit your profile information.
Q. I selected a train ticket, but when I placed my booking the price changed. Why? Can the previously quoted price be honored?
A. For most trains, the price quoted is based on live availability from current seat inventories. However, for some trains, we cannot check fare availability at the time of quote due to technical limitations of the international rail distribution system. Therefore, we use a cached price to build your quote, based on generally available fares for the trip you requested.
While rare, sometimes, we find out that the fare used for quoting your trip is no longer available as we’re trying to confirm your reservation. This is when the system gives us the new price based on that very moment’s availability. This explains why you may receive a message advising you that the price has changed from the original quote.
Q. Do I need to make a reservation if I’m traveling with a rail pass on an overnight train?
A. Yes. Even with your rail pass, you will need to make a reservation on any overnight train. Reservations are required for sleeping compartments, couchettes, and seats. Depending on where you’re traveling, the guidelines of the specific train and/or the type of rail pass you have, you may be entitled to purchase a reservation in place of a full price ticket.
You can search for overnight reservations directly on our website - just be sure to select the "I have a rail pass" option.